"The mission of St. Peter Catholic Church is to bring the hope of Jesus Christ to the people of Eaton Rapids through divine worship and works of mercy."

 

In 1878, Eaton Rapids was a bustling community enjoying the advantages of being a popular oasis with its much-touted mineral springs. People from throughout the country came to bathe in its curative waters. Major congregations already existed with well-established edifices.

A small group of Catholic families felt the need for communal worship. The first mass recorded in Eaton Rapids occurred in 1878 in the home of Frank Birney, located on Dexter Street.  They were visited by two priests who alternated saying mass on the first Monday of each month.  They were Father Theophilus Buyse of St. John’s, Jackson, and Father Louis VanDriss of St. Mary’s, Lansing.  The home masses continued for thirteen years, a testimony of faith on the part of both priest and parishioner.

In 1890, the Episcopal mission known as St. Matthias became available, and the community made plans to purchase the property. It was a small wooden structure located on the corner of Knight and River streets. By December of 1890, the community was actively raising funds, and in March of 1891, the purchase was made by Father Broegger from the Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan.

The community celebrated their first church Mass on Tuesday, March 27th, 1891. The spring and summer saw feverish activity with painting in May, a new altar and pews in June, and stained-glass windows installed in July. The official dedication of the church occurred Sunday, September 27th, 1891, with Masses at 6:00 and 10:30 celebrated by Fathers Broegger and Buyse. The sermon was given by Bishop John Foley of Detroit. A choir from St. John's in Jackson provided the music for the occasion.  To whom the mission was dedicated remains somewhat of a mystery. From about 1895 to 1915, the mission was known as Saint Francis. In 1915, the mission was rededicated to Saint Peter. The reason for the change is unknown.

As a mission, Saint Peter was served by priests of neighboring areas. From 1898 to 1918, St. Peter’s was cared for by St. John's of Albion.; from 1918 to 1940, St. Mary's of Charlotte.; and 1940 to 1962, the Chancery of Lansing. In 1962, St. Peter’s became an independent parish with its own pastor, Father Charles Crowley.

In 1930, a major renovation of the wooden structure was funded by a prominent parishioner in memory of her husband. From 1930 to 1935, Margaret Bromeling donated the amounts necessary to enlarge the church by eighteen feet, reface the exterior with fieldstone, purchase an Italian marble altar, communion rail and baptismal font, stained glass windows, a terrazzo tile floor, choir loft, and bronze lights. When completed, Saint Peter’s was perhaps the most unique mission church in Central Michigan. In 1949, an electrical fire started in the wall behind the altar and resulted in structural and smoke damage. Fortunately, the beautiful interior remained intact.

In 1952, the mission purchased the home at 212 E. Knight Street to serve as classroom space for religious instruction. With time, the mission continued to grow, and by 1962 there was a need for additional space to properly serve the worship needs of the parish. As beautiful as the church was, there was no room for significant expansion. Another location became apparent.

In 1962, the purchase of several acres from the Miller Dairy Farms was made. This property was located at the end of Knight Street. By 1965, a new church and catechetical center were completed and dedicated on May 19th, 1965. In 1970, the parish built a rectory.

The parish held its Centennial celebration on September 8th, 1991, with Bishop Kenneth J Povish and many of the church's former pastors in attendance. Under the direction of Father Bennett Constantine, plans for the building of the current church commenced in January 1992 and construction began in October of 1993. 

The parish held its inauguration on the feast of Pentecost, May 22nd, 1994, and the church was dedicated by Bishop Povish, on October 23rd, 1994.

 

Louis C. Murdock Theatre Sponsorship Banner

Home

Home

Bulletin

Bulletin

News

News

Calendar

Calendar