Our Staff
Our History
Ministries
Formation
Schedule
Contact Us
About Us
About Us
Our Pastor
Our Councils & Commissions
Sacraments
Bulletins
Resources
Annual Ox Roast Festival & Carnival

Saint Peter Catholic Church

515 E. Knight Street, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827
517-663-4735     SPCEatonRapidsOffice@gmail.com

  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
  7. Managing Director
  8. Managing Director
  9. Managing Director
  10. Managing Director
  11. Managing Director
  12. Managing Director
  13. Managing Director
  14. Managing Director
  15. Managing Director
St. Peter Roman Catholic Church in Eaton Rapids is a welcoming Catholic Community in the Diocese of Lansing,
consecrated to Jesus Christ, serving the spiritual and corporal needs of Our brothers and sister.
We commit ourselves to celebrating the liturgy togeather living the sacraments in a life of prayer and communion with the saints. Empowered by the Holy Spirit, we will preach the Gospel and serve the community in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, and Savior.

Our Rich History

1878 - The first Mass in Eaton Rapids was said in the home of Frank Birney by Fr. Louis VanDriss, who alternated with Fr. Theophilus Buyse in the celebration of monthly First Monday Masses. The Parish was assigned as a mission of the Parishes of St. John in Jackson, St. Mary in Lansing, and St. Philip in Battle Creek.

1891 - the old Episcopal Church was purchased under Fr. VanDriss' guidance, and dedicated on September 27. Additionally, the Parish was reassigned as a mission of the Parishes of St. John in Albion and St. Rose of Lima in Hastings.

1895 until 1915 - the Parish was known as St. Francis, though it is not known to whom it was actually dedicated.

1915 - the name was officially changed and dedicated to St. Peter.

1918 until 1962 - the Parish was reassigned as a mission of St. Mary in Charlotte.

1930 to 1935 - through the immense generosity of Margaret Bromeling, a Parishioner, the Church underwent a substantial renovation under the supervision of Fr. Lockwood, who served as Pastor of the mission Church for fifteen years (1923 - 1938)

1935 - the Church was officially reopened on October 20.

1952 - seeing the need for growth, Fr. Paul Donovan (1951 - 1955) oversaw the purchase of the house next to the Parish for catechesis and meetings.

1962 - in celebration of the Diocesan Silver Jubilee, Bishop Joseph H. Albers raised St. Peter from a Mission to the status of Parish. Rev. Charles Crowley became the first resident Pastor (1962 - 1966). Seeing the profound need for expansion, he oversaw the purchase of church property on Knight Street from the Miller Dairy Farm, and orchestrated the building of a new Church and Catechetical Center.

1965 - the Church was officially Dedicated on May 19.

1970 - a Rectory was built.

1971 - Fr. William Koenigsknecht was assigned by the Diocese (1971 - 1982) and began the annual tradition of the Parish Festival.

1991 - the Parish held its Centennial Celebration on September 8, with Bishop Kenneth J. Povish and many of the Church's former Pastors in attendance.

1992 - with the endorsement and encouragement of Bishop Povish, plans for the building of the new (current) Church commenced in January under the guidance of Fr. Bennett Constantine (1991 - 2015).

1993 - construction on the new Church, including the renovation of the old Church into a Catechetical and Meeting Center began in October.

1994 - the new church was inaugurated on May 22, the Feast of Pentecost, and dedicated by Bishop Povish on October 23. Also that year, the house adjacent to the Church property was purchased for the new Rectory.

2001 - thanks to the generosity of the Owen family, the Pavilion was built and is used today for many Church events including the Annual Parish Festival.

2015 - Rev. Fr. George Puthenpeedika was chosen specifically for St. Peter by Bishop Earl Boyea, and became Pastor on July 1. He was officially installed at a Mass of Celebration on August 20 by Bishop Boyea. Under Fr. George's guidance, New Evangelization and Worship Commissions were formed to assist with growing the discipleship and ligurgical formation in the Parish.

2016 - the former Rectory building was renovated to house all Parish Staff Offices, a larger meeting space for councils and commissions, and an expanded Parish library. A Grounds Comission was formed to assist with maintaining the beautiful buildings and grounds of St. Peter. A ladies auxiliary group, the Knights' Angels, was formed with the purpose of supporting and aiding the Knights of Columbus in their charitable work. Near the end of the year, new Youth Team Leaders and a Faith Formation Coordinator were hired.

2017 - As we continue to look to the future of St. Peter Parish and Her people, we thank God for the leadership and guidance of Fr. George. Together we move forward as a united team to fulfill the mission of bringing New Evangelization to those in our Parish, to those who have fallen away from the Church, and to those who have yet to experience the beauty of our Catholic Faith.